The Rules
  • Feel free to leave constructive criticism, or point out a better way to do something.
  • Personal attacks or flames, on me or anyone else, will be deleted.
  • Past history has shown that 99% of comments I can't read (i.e. those in other languages) to be spam. Therefore, any comment I can't read will be removed.
  • I'm pretty mellow concerning profanity, but excessive (as determined subjectively by me), bad language will be removed.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Is it love?

I've decided to use Objective-C and the Cocoa/Foundation frameworks to implement the main project for my internet programming class.

My mission: to build a multi-threaded (yet limited functionality) webserver with CGI capability by the 3rd week of June.

Pros:
1. I'd like to work for Apple someday, and building a webserver with their technology seems a good resume-booster.
2. Objective-C (with the Foundation/Cocoa frameworks) is a pretty nifty language with some good features that I'm quite keen to learn about
3. I'll be learning a lot, which I care much more about than grades

Cons:
1. I'll be learning a lot, so I'm not likely to get an A in this particular class
2. I've had to do a lot of research on threading/synchronization so I'm a little behind on a project. (2 days, but who's counting?)
3. Learning the quirks of a new language means I'll be working at the last minute most of the semester, whereas if I just used C and POSIX threading/synchronization libraries I could probably whip this together pretty quickly.

Is it love? I guess I'll know in a few weeks.

No comments: